Sunday, October 31, 2010

PostSecret



PostSecret was introduced to me over 5 years ago. Since then, I check the website every Sunday, religiously, to see the new secrets that are posted. I own 4 books full of secrets and whenever possible, give these books as gifts. My older niece (turning 11 soonish) and I have spent hours looking through the books together, prolly to her parent's chagrin. Leave it to Auntie Liana to teach her things she really doesn't need to know yet! You're welcome!

So what is PostSecret?? First watch this.

That should give you a little taste.

Frank Warren had an idea for a community art project. He began handing out postcards and asked people to write down their deepest and darkest secrets and to mail them to him anonymously. The response was overwhelming. And the cards themselves were works of art.

"Addictively compelling, the cards reveal our deepest fears, desires, regrets and obsessions."

I am obsessed. And my betrothed thinks this obsession of mine is creepy. I do not. I'm fascinated. Going on 5 years now. They make me laugh, make me cry, and make me think. These secrets have even saved some people's lives. Or the suicide prevention hotline that Frank Warren supports and advertises on his website has. People have realized that they are not alone and that they are not the only ones suffering from their problem.

Frank began receiving so many postcards, that he knew it was his duty to share them. He does so on his website www.postsecret.com and through the numerous books of secrets that have been published.

"The secrets brilliantly illuminate that human emotions can be unique and universal at the same time."

Here are some of my favourites:

Some are silly-















































Many are about love- wanting it, having found it, suffering because of it...


















































Some are sad and quirky-











































And some are just awesome-






























































And that is PostSecret in a nutshell! Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment